One of the sensitivities in our family is dairy. Sensitivity to dairy does not include a sensitivity to eggs. Egg allergies/sensitivities are a separate issue. Please be very careful if you have both a dairy and an egg allergy/sensitivity. If a product is marked dairy free it could still contain eggs. Ask questions and if in doubt, leave it out.
We use a variety of non-dairy milk products depending on the use and personal preference.
Most non-dairy milks are available in both the refrigerator section and baking aisle. We keep cashew milk in the refrigerator because we love its taste and texture. Shelf stable boxes of non-dairy milks are found in the baking aisle. I always have a couple different shelf stable types on hand in my pantry. You have to refrigerate them once they are open, but most unopened non-dairy milks have a very long shelf life. The list below is by no means a complete list, but the milks that I am most familiar with.
- Almond Milk
- Cashew Milk
- Coconut Milk
- Non-dairy creamer – Works as an excellent substitute for milk in recipes.
- Rice Milk
- Hemp Milk
- Coconut Milk creamer – This has a thicker consistency than coconut milk and can be used as a substitute for cream in recipes.
- Coconut Cream – This comes from a can of full fat coconut milk. If you allow a can to settle, the cream will rise to the top. Once it is skimmed off, it can be used as a 1:1 substitute for cream in a recipe, it can also be used to make coconut whipped cream.
- Silken tofu – When blended until smooth, silken tofu is an excellent substitute for cream – especially in soups or sauces. For a heavier cream substitution, use a firm tofu.
- Rice milk & olive oil – To substitute for one cup of heavy cream, mix together 2/3C rice milk and 1/3C olive oil, then add immediately to your recipe. You will not be able to whip this combination.
- Non-Dairy Yogurt – A great substitute for sour cream.
To substitute for 1 cup of buttermilk, take 1 tablespoon of acid: lemon or lime juice, or vinegar. Add your choice of non-dairy milk to acid and stir. Let it stand for 5 minutes then use as needed.